The Ultimate No B.S. Skin Care Guide
Skin care shouldn't be as complicated as our love lives. Right?! Simply, follow these b.s.-free skin care tricks for good-looking, clear, glowing skin that will give you, your girlfriends, their mamas, and your whole tribe life.
Hydration 👏 Hydration 👏 Hydration 👏
Wonder why your skin is so dry season to season? Well, dry skin's moisture barrier is damaged, creating invisible cracks in the skin. Now, moisture can escape and irritants can get in more easily. Don't hyperventilate, we’ve got you covered! Build these great skin care habits into your daily routine and your skin will be smiling and quenched. No B.S.
🌞 A.M. Slay (Cleanser, toner, serum, day cream, SPF, or moisturizer w/ SPF)
- Cleanser: Go with a suuuuper-mild cleanser that has a gentle lather, like our Gentle Foaming Cleanser. No sulfates, no problem!
- Toner: Say no to alcohol (save it for Happy Hour) - SD alcohol 40, denatured alcohol, ethanol, and isopropyl alcohol are all a big no-no. That's why we love our Purifying Facial Toner with white tea extract, green tea, and chamomile. It's great for dry skin and makes for a quick double-cleanse.
- Serum: Lightly pat on a serum with hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C antioxidant superheroes. These baddies not only repair cells and keep skin tight but help prevent collagen breakdown. Use the No B.S. Vitamin C + E Serum to make sure you're getting all the right ingredients.
- Day Time Moisturizer: Dry skin needs consistent moisture, but you also can't be excepted to apply moisturizer throughout the day, especially when you have a layer of carefully-crafted makeup! Once your serum is dry, follow up with a hydrating moisturizer, like our Day + Night Hyaluronic Cream.
- SPF: You always ALWAYS want to end with sun protection. If you can find a moisturizer with SPF, you're golden but we recommend the hyaluronic cream for dry skin since it offers lasting hydration. Look for a UVA/UVB protecting cream that's lightweight. If you're struggling to find a moisturizing SPF, the No B.S. Ultra- Hydrating Moisturizer with SPF 20 is the one for you.
📝 No B.S. tip: keep your toner chilled in the fridge for an extra burst of freshness in the morning!
🌙 P.M. Slay (Cleanser, Toner, Night Cream or Retinol)
- Cleanser: Use the same cleanser as you did in the a.m.
- Toner: Swipe on the same chilled toner from the morning.
- Hydrating Night Cream: Finish with your Day + Night Hyaluronic Cream for a multi-layered moisture system that keeps to wake up quenched.
- Retinol Night Cream: Protect your money maker with a two-for-one night cream combo that also moisturizes. As you get your beauty rest, your cell turnover is in overdrive and your skin's moisture barrier is repairing. The No B.S. Retinol Night Cream will do the trick!
Is Your Skin Giving You ♊ Gemini ♊ Vibes (hella two-faced)?
Do you find your skin oily in some places and dry in others? Yup, that's combination skin. If you're a boss babe with combination skin, we've got you covered! Ditch trying to use two different routines, and stick to our combination skin care routine below; because friends don’t let friends waste time on unnecessary routines.
🌞 A.M. Slay (Cleanser, toner, serum, SPF moisturizer)
- Cleanser: Try a gentle cleanser to rid your face of debris. No B.S. Gentle Foaming Cleanser has the ideal ingredients without the fluff.
- Toner: Use a non-alcoholic, ph-balancing toner to wipe out any stragglers and really freshen up your canvas. The No B.S. Purifying Facial Toner is your best bet!
- Serum: Hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C superheroes repair cells and keep skin tight. Consider rising and grinding with the No B.S. Vitamin C + E Serum.
- Lightweight Moisturizer: Give the serum a few seconds to dry then follow it with a lightweight moisturizer, preferably one with SPF. This will help your skin get the right amount of moisture for those too-oily spots and protect that moneymaker for the rest of the day. Our No B.S. Moisturizer with SPF passed the selfie test. #approved
🌙 P.M. Slay (Cleaner, toner, night cream spot-treatment)
- Cleanse: Use the same cleanser as you did in the a.m.
- Toner: Lightly dab the same chilled toner from the morning.
- Retinol Night Cream: Protect your money maker in a two-in-one combo that also moisturizes. While you get your beauty rest, your cell turnover is in overdrive and glowing skin is on the way. No B.S. has a Retinol Night Cream that packs a good one-two punch (in a good way, obvi). Use the cream strategically to spot treat problem areas or apply it all over, depending on what your skin needs.
Is Your Skin Outshining You? 🌟🌟
You shine naturally, and that's a good thing! But when skin is outshining you due to larger oil glands and high sebum content, you might be looking for a solution that lessens oil activity by keeping skin cells lightly hydrated. If you're a boss babe with oily skin, we've got you covered! Develop great habits that'll make you and your skin happy.
🌞 A.M. Slay (Toner, serum, moisturizer w/ SPF)
- Toner: That's right! we're not using a cleanser in the daytime to avoid overwashing and overdrying your skin (Note: if you didn't end the day before with a cleanser, go ahead and start your day with one. The goal is to balance your oil production!). Rinse away any build up from the night before with warm water and use a non-alcoholic toner for refreshed, clean skin. Use No B.S. Purifying Facial Toner.
- Serum: Pat on a serum with hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C superheroes to not only repair cells and keep skin tight but to also help with brightening dull spots. Boost your glow with the No B.S. has a Vitamin C + E Serum.
- Lightweight Moisturizer with SPF: Don't think your oily skin lets you off the moisturizer hook. Encourage balanced oil production with a moisturizer that's lightweight so you're not completely slick by mid-morning. Once your serum is dry, apply the No B.S. Ultra-Hydrating Facial Moisturizer w/ SPF 20 for all day protection and just enough hydration and dew.
🌙 P.M. Slay (Cleanser, toner, night cream or retinol)
- Cleanser: Cleanse at the end of the day to remove build up and lingering nasties. Overwashing your face can dry it out, resulting in more oil production. #NoBueno! Reach for the No B.S. Gentle Foaming Cleanser to do the dirty work for you.
- Toner: Wipe on the same chilled toner from the morning.
- Night Cream: At night, oily-skinned babes have two options- you can either keep it strictly moisturizing with a rich hyaluronic cream or you can treat uneven texture and fine lines (if that's your thing) while you sleep with a hydrating Retinol Night Cream. Oily skin loves retinol because it helps your pores look smaller over time. It also works with your cell’s natural turnover for glowing skin.
Got Sensitive Skin Like a Drake Ballad? 🎻
Sensitive skin isn't necessarily acne-prone, it just responds to irritation and can get red easily. A gentle balance must be struck with sensitive skin. Since sensitive skin is more responsive to irritation and not necessarily acne-prone, the trick is to be delicate, not aggressive. If you're this boss babe with a more sensitive side to your skin, we've got you covered! Build these great skin care habits into your daily routine and your skin will be smiling. No B.S.
🌞 A.M. Slay (Cleanser, toner, serum, day cream or moisturizer w/ SPF)
- Cleanser: Go with gentle ingredients to rid your face of makeup, debris, and impurities without disrupting your skin's natural barrier. The No B.S. Gentle Foaming Cleanser is just what our delicate skin needs.
- Toner: Say no to alcohol (on your skin). Instead, look for white tea extract, green tea, and chamomile for refreshing, calming, anti-inflammatory ingredients.No B.S. ph-balancing face toner* has green tea extract and nothing your face doesn’t need.
- Serum: Lightly pat on a serum with hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C superheroes. These baddies not only repair cells and keep skin tight but help with brightening dull spots. The No B.S. has a Vitamin C + E Serum is just for you!
- Day Time Moisturizer: Once your serum is dry, follow up with a hydrating moisturizer, like our Day + Night Hyaluronic Cream. It'll lock in moisture throughout the day and keep oil production to a minimum.
- SPF: You always ALWAYS want to end with sun protection. If you can find a moisturizer with SPF, you're golden but we recommend the hyaluronic cream since it offers lasting hydration. Look for a UVA/UVB protecting cream that's lightweight. If you're struggling to find a moisturizing SPF, the No B.S. Ultra- Hydrating Moisturizer with SPF 20 is the one for you.
🌙 P.M. Slay (Cleanser, toner, night cream)
- Cleanse: Use the same cleanser as you did in the a.m.
- Toner: Get unquestionably clean skin with the same chilled toner from the morning.
- Night cream: Sensitive Sally's could use a Retinol Night Cream if there's a history of using the product but we recommend sticking to our Day + Night Hyaluronic Cream. It's indulgently hydrating and leaves sensitive skin supple and smooth to the touch. If you're going for the Retinol, start slow and steady (spot treating and only a few nights a week) and ALWAYS apply SPF the morning after to prevent hyperpigmentation.
At No B.S. we don't think of "aging" as a bad thing. Everyone ages, everyone gets their fine lines and wrinkles, and at the end of it all, we own it! we want you to own your skin and feel confident no matter what stage in life you're in. You're never too young or too old to do bold things. It's never too late to choose to #LiveNoBS.
Build good skin habits, take off your makeup, and for the love of skin use SPF! Get the regimen now!
Continue the product hunt, educate yourself, hydrate the crap out of your face. Read the skin care guide now!
Smoothing and plumping is the name of the game, so is making nice with a trusted dermatologist. See the regimen that works!
Rejuvenate that glow and seek overall smoothness. Focus on hydration and treatment for easy maintenance down the line. Click here to learn how.
60's and beyond
Easy maintenance and even texture are what you're after. Keep up those good habits with a simple skin care routine.
Master the Routine
Still not sure where to start? Let's talk basics. For the most part, no matter what age or skin type, there are certain must-have products. A good cleanser, toner (leave the alcohol for Happy Hour), serum (preferably with Vitamin C), moisturizer, and SPF. Depending on your stage in life, you might need to tweak, double up, remove, or add a product but this general routine works for just about anyone.
Always remember that it's not only the routine but the quality of ingredients that go into each product. Don't reach for the brand, reach for quality!
More Skin Care Tips From The Blog